Wednesday, October 20, 2010

More PIQF Looks familiar 10-20-10

Sometimes I look through a quilt show and make connections with other quilts or with quilts from the past - it is a challenge to try to guess who made the quilt based on those quilts from the past. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I am wrong - I think of it as brain exercise.
This is a triptych, a form that seems to be used more in Europe than the U.S. I guessed wrong on this one. But blue and yellow always speak to me and I think this quilt is gorgeous.



I can sometimes pick out a Carol Taylor quilt, but I would not have thought this was hers except that I had seen it before. I admire Carol's flexibility - she continues to explore and try new directions. She is amazingly productive considering that she teaches all over the world and also serves as a member of the Board for Studio Art Quilt Associates.


See what I mean about Carol? Here is an entirely different style and technique. She has gone in many directions with piecing strips and this one is a knockout. Apparently there was some discussion among some viewers about whether this quilt was pieced or appliqued - don't they read the signs?



I was wrong on this one also. But I excuse myself because it is a basic design that has been explored by many quiltmakers over the last (at least) twenty years. I like this quilt because it is RED and because it is free cut, giving it a texture not found in a symmetrical version.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Rayna said...

1. Nope, people don't read.

2. For me, ART= the bamboo piece - Regeneration. Wonderful and original.

3. For traditional - the log cabin is fabulous!

I