Thursday, October 21, 2010

More PIQF - Trees 10-21-10

I've been a 'tree hugger' all my life - even before there was a name for such an addiction. When quilts were selected for an exhibit from the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection they were able to fill one small gallery with just tree quilts. I was amazed. Here are a few tree quilts from PIQF -2010.
Sorry this is such a poor image of the label on this wonderful quilt - I doctored it as much as I could.


Barbara has used tulle to create shading and (I think) beads to give some sparkle.



This is an interesting quilt - she has used just about every technique she knew to embellish it. Dijanne Cevaal of Australia and Europe has used the bleaching process to create trees for a decade or so. "Forest II" in the TCQC is on my blog at
http://delquilts.blogspot.com/2008/09/quilts-from-tcqg-09-23-08.html

 


A wonderful abstraction of a bamboo grove.




Here is another abstraction - this one of a forest renewal after fire. So beautiful.


I've noticed that many of the blogs with pictures of PIQF '10 include this lovely quilt - aspens are high up on my list. It seems to me that each year there are more quilts created in this format - like snapshots in an album.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

I really like this last one especially! Love seeing all of these quilts, thanks Del.

Cindy Cooksey said...

Stunning tree quilts. Thanks for sharing them! I couldn't get to PIQF this year, although a couple of my quilts did.