Sunday, September 1, 2013

Bucolic America 09-01-13

 When on Road Trips I have wondered if one of the reasons I enjoy them is that I see more of the USA that I knew in my younger years.  Living in SCalifornia with tens of millions of other people, and the expanding suburbs, doesn't give much chance to see open fields and farm animals and vistas of mountains and valleys.  I usually keep a list of the birds I see along the way and sometimes stop in a likely place to walk around with my binoculars and maybe add a new bird to my list.  It is a way of life that I lived such a long time ago.
I'm feeling REALLY nostalgic tonight - I image it is because today I turned 75.  Yes, it is true, although to be honest, I don't really believe it.   Inside I am still 24.  



I was looking at Road Trip pictures today - this one was taken in Illinois on the trip this past May.  I didn't stop, but I did slow down on this "blue highway" as there was not another car in sight.  The curious cows all looked to see what I was doing. 
 
And seeing this image reminded me that Ruth McDowell has a new quilt on her website.  Now that she is retired,and doing all sorts of things she has put off during her working years, she isn't making as many quilts as she has in the past.  Check out "Summer Visitors" at:
 http://www.ruthbmcdowell.com/clients/rbm/catalog.cfm

Sorry I have missed a few days of blogging.  Sometimes life just overwhelms me.
Hope you have a pleasant Labor Day.
 
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Happy birthday Del !
Though here we already have the 2nd September

Patty ♣ said...

Happy birthday Del! I wish you a wonderful, healthy, happy whole year filled with fun surprises!

abelian said...

Happy birthday a day late! Those birthdays with 5's or 0's are different, aren't they?

We were on the road yesterday, to our house in the Sierra. We turn off the highway at Kingsburg, to drive past farms and fields and fruit trees. It feels good to be out where you can see the seasons change.

Dottie

Sonia said...

Happy Birthday and Labor Day, Del! I turned 75 last Oct. and so admire your willingness to travel over the country on your own. Not something I have the confidence to do. I was watching your journey through MO and OK and holding my breath as the tornadoes skipped along ahead and behind you. I was concerned about my relatives living there and added you to the list. Happy 75 and many more!

Suemendo said...

Happy Birthday! You are a role model and inspiration.

Sherrie Spangler said...

Happy Birthday! Wishing you many more road trips to come. The cows brought back memories of my 12 years living in Illinois and always being within 10 minutes of a farm.