Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Road Trip - Indiana Columbia, MO to Marion, IN 07-15-14

This was just a driving day - and drive - and drive - and drive!  I did stop along the way to take a 20 minute nap which did wonders for me.  It always does and it always surprises me how much difference it makes.  Today was a 454 mile day, but I arrived in Marion, IN, before dark.  Of  course, I'm further north than I usually am, so it gets dark much later than in CA.   No weather today - just blue skies and white clouds, some with black bottoms, but no rain.   
I  drove right through the middle of St Louis, MO, so that I could see the Arch again.  It is the most amazing structure, but has to be see with one's own eyes to believe it.  Awesome.
 
As I recall from previous trips the view from I-70 is better if one is driving west.

There were about six of these large flatbed trucks hauling bags of onions.  They are not Vidalia onions, which  grow only in Georgia, but I saw the trucks near Vandalia, Missouri, an odd juxtaposition. 

Mostly I saw corn today.  Miles and miles of it.  I thought maybe there is so much grown for Ethanol, but my friend Mary says it is because it is a subsidized crop.  Makes sense!

And I saw road construction.  Again, miles and miles of it.  Annoying at times, but not so bad on I-70East. 

 And I could not see the westbound traffic because of the trees planted between the two sides of the Interstate.

 But there wasn't a lot of traffic headed east.
 
 However, the westbound traffic when I could see it was mostly one lane and stretched for at least twenty miles!  I think I won't take this route when I head home - the construction will surely be continuing through next weekend - and probably all summer. 
 
Tomorrow I have a day of rest until the Welcoming event from 6 to 8pm.  Until that time I hope I will bump into some quilting ladies - that I already know or some new quilting friends!
#   #   # 


No comments: