Thursday, July 17, 2014

QHOF Gallery walk with Ruth McDowell 07-17-14

Ruth's quilts are hung in the Marion Public Library until Monday and then will be moved to the QHOF house one block over.  I don't know how they are going to squeeze all these quilts into the house.  In the library they look great and I was busy taking pictures when Ruth told the crowd that picture taking and sketching were not allowed.  So, this is all I have.  Somehow I will be in the room alone and will take pictures of all the quilts.  It will be accepted or I will take my quilts and go off in a huff!!  Not really, but I will take the pictures.
 
"A Rash of Flamingoes" above and "Sap Buckets" below.  Both are from TCQC.

Ruth explaining something about "Flamingoes".

The quilt in the lower left is the one with the lovely fairytale about Ruth's daughters when they were young.  It is in her personal collection. 

Showing the "Bison" quilt at lop left.  Below it are "Pumpkins" and "Baron von Ruffhausen" (Harvey), both part of TCQC.

As far as I know these are the people that came from the west coast to attend this event.  Left to Right:  Sherry (from Cotton Patch), Ann Shaw (who is also teaching here), Carolie Hensley (owner of Cotton Patch), Phebe Smith (volunteer at QHOF).  The lady on the right lives in Indiana, but once worked for Carolie at the Cotton Patch in Lafayette, CA.

 
Sherry (Cotton Patch), Nancy (Cotton Patch), Ann Shaw (teacher), Carolie Hensley (Cotton Patch).

"Mullein" one of Ruth's early quilts and one of my personal favorites - in the collection of one of Ruth's sisters.  On the right is "Miner's Lettuce" part of Ruth's collection.

The young lady who is videotaping the exhibit and Ruth's presentations. 

3 comments:

Dolores said...

Wow, a wonderful experience for all of you!!

abelian said...

Nice to see the California "delegation". All people I know from Empty Spools!

Dottie

Loretta said...

Just catching up myself...Ruth's tour must have been sensational! This is a very special gathering of quilters, quilts and their inspirational leader - Ruth!