Monday, November 30, 2009

Trip to Portland, Placentia - Williams 11-29-09

It was very windy in some areas when I left home yesterday. After I turned west on Hwy 210 the wind was stronger and I started seeing this dark smokey sky and thought "Oh, no! Not more California burning."
But after a few miles, not hearing any reports on the radio, I figured out it was ash from the station fire that was burning when I drove this way the end of August. The ash complete obliterates the mountains in this picture.

Here you can see the mountains just under the Arroyo Blvd sign and to the right.

The wind kicks the ash up more in some spots. I could see it swirling on the pavement in a few places and, of course, see it in the air.

After I turned north on I-5 there was more traffic - there is always congestion in the area where the 210 dumps into the I-5 and people are trying to get to the left to continue north, while at the same time the people on the I-5 are trying to move right to turn off on Hwy 14 to Lancaster/Palmdale. An overpass is needed. Once past that point the traffic moved pretty well most of the time. It is a long meandering climb up to the summit in the area of Gorman and there was snow up there during the night. These drifts were the first I saw.

But higher still the snow spread out over the tops of the mountain peaks.

The cars mostly just line up and follow each other as the traffic gets thicker. I followed this SUV until after Gorman where I turned off at the Lebec rest stop.

I would imagine that most of this snow was melted by the end of the day as it was rather warm all over SCalifornia. But the snow at Big Bear was enough to open the ski runs - hope it sticks.

Tonight I am in Roseburg, OR., at a Holiday Inn Express, so there will be cinnamon rolls for breakfast - those wonderful fresh darlings are the added treat to get me to stay at these motels. Mostly though, I seek them out because I feel safe, everything is well maintained and the employees are almost always exceedingly polite and kind. Which counts for something when one has been driving all day and is too tired to deal with grumpy desk clerks.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

abelian said...

Hi, Del,

Next time you're going over the Ridge on I-5, instead of stopping at Lebec, stop at the Vista del Lago visitor center at Pyramid Lake. There are beautiful, modern, clean restrooms there. Much nicer than Lebec.

Dottie D

Meggie said...

Dear Del, I hope your were treated Royally, & with respect & kindness. Every weary traveller deserves that.
The photos were very interesting.
Love megxx

dee said...

Thanks for the travelog Del.Glad you found a nice place to rest up.

The Yvonne Porcella quilt from yesterday was a wonder. I would never have guessed it was one of hers.

Rayna said...

Del, you are the intrepid traveler. I don't know how you drive all those hours by yourself - you are amazing!

What is a station fire?

Patty ♣ said...

Rayna, you asked what is a station fire...
Del is referring to a terrible fire we had here in CA. It was still being worked on in October and it had started in August! We lost two firefighters and many-many homes. Google.. Station Fire.