Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Trip north on I-5 Arrived in Portland 12-01-09

Guess I have gotten behind on my posts, or maybe just confused about the dates! And tonight I am just too tired to caption pictures and write a post. So, here are two pictures of my favorite mountain, which I have not seen much of in my last few visits to Portland.

These pictures were taken at a "Vista Point" on I-205 which diverts from I-5 south of town and goes east and then north to cross the Columbia and then rejoin I-5 in Washington State. Since all my family lives in the SE part of Portland I usually take this route. From the "Vista Point" there is a great view of Mt. Hood (when there is no fog, rain or thick low clouds). In the picture above you can also see Oregon City on the other side of the Willamette River and in the foreground Willamette Falls. Oregon City has many claims to early fame, including being the first incorporated city west of the Rocky Mountains, and there are many interesting historical sites preserved and open to the public.

Here is a long lens photo of Mt. Hood - it will always be the perfect mountain in my heart. I also saw Mt. St. Helens off in the distance and it took me a few minutes to figure out which mountain I was seeing - since it blew it's top it is no longer the shape I remember from my childhood.

I did visit my Aunt Dorothy today. She is coming to the end of her 84 years. The hospice worker (they are called angels, which doesn't appeal to me - I'd rather wait until I leave this earthly coil to meet any angels) was there and I asked her if Dorothy was deteriorating rapidly and she said yes. Dorothy is still able to stand up and change clothes and go to the bathroom with assistance and her mind seems just as sharp as always. She talks very slow and quietly, so I had to concentrate to catch what she was saying. She has lost a great deal of weight since I saw her last, I have never seen her so thin. I will go back to visit some more in the morning.

I hope this post makes sense, I gotta quit and get to bed.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

Oh Del! Such beautiful pictures!
I am thinking of you!! So glad that you are able to be with your aunt!

Terry Grant said...

Glad you got here OK. Call if you can take some time for lunch or whatever. I emailed you my phone number.

Corky said...

Del, I'm so glad you've been able to visit your aunt. I know you're tired from the long trip, but I'm sure you'll be glad you made it so you'd get the chance to say goodbye. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.