Friday, July 23, 2010

Quilt Festival Long Beach Page #1 07-22-10

Uh Oh! I clicked to use the new "draft blogger" and now can't go back and can't add any pictures to this post. Oh, PLEASE, let me go back to the OLD way which I know best! So, only four pictures tonight from QFestival/LBeach. I'll work on posting more tomorrow.
Another long day for me with a morning of doctoring, a drive to LBeach where I had to take a little rest with Corky before heading off for the Convention Center. Because of my current bodily problems I have a handicap parking sticker and the underground parking lot closest to the Convention Center main entrance (with an elevator that goes to level 4 where I wanted to be so I didn't have to attempt any stairs) is entirely devoted to vehicles with handicap tags. So, if you don't have a tag, bring a non-quilting handicapped person and park them in the lobby with a good (fat) book!
Tonight was preview night so the show floor was open from 5pm until 9. I arrived about 6pm and left at 8pm when I ran out of steam. I have a ticket for tomorrow so I can look at some more quilts and hopefully visit with friends I run into and some people I don't even know yet! But I imagine I will have only a few hours of stamina. I'd like to go back for Karey Breshenan's SAQA event, but the proper address to RSVP is lost in the ether, courtesy of Fujitsu. Can anyone supply me with the RSVP address? I could try sending a message to Karey or Vicky, but I imagine they have better things to take care of!!
There were few people looking at the quilts. Of course, the space is so vast that it would take a lot of lookers to FILL it, but people were few and far between. Since this show is in my own 'backyard' I started running into friends before I even got in the door! It is always great to see familiar faces - even if I can never remember anyone's name. Some nice ladies I met when I did a program in Hanford, CA., were looking for the "West Coast" exhibit which I found later directly in front of the entrance - I hope they found it and saw their excellent three person/three panel quilt. I took pictures and will post later. I wonder if it is for sale? I like it a lot.
Here is the one quilt that blogger would let me post tonight and it is a great one.

As you see, it won first place last October in the Art-Pictorial category. But it doesn't say it is a two-sided quilt. Equally gorgeous from either side. It measures approx. 38"W x 70"L.

This is the front.


And here is the back showing the quilting in proper colors.

And a closeup of those elusive Koi under the lily pads.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Suzanne Kistler said...

I loved this one too!!! It is spectacular!!

abelian said...

That prime parking at the Convention Center is open to all, if you get there early enough -- about an hour or so before the show opens. The handicapped parking is in a section closest to the elevators, but others can park only a few lanes away, until that floor fills up. Then they change the signs and restrict it to handicapped.

I asked at the volunteer desk if the show was going to be back next year (2010 was the 3rd year of their initial 3-year contract), and was told that they'd signed on for an additional 3 years. Good news.

Dottie D

Kathleen said...

...wow