Sunday, July 18, 2010

Quilt from Visions Challenge 07-18-10

People get confused about Visions, not realizing that there are three parts that compliment each other and offer several windows into contemporary quilts/art quilts. There is the biennial International Quilt Visions exhibit, juried from hundreds of submission from around the world. Quilt Visions - 2010 will open in October at the Oceanside (California) Museum of Art for a four month run. There is the Visions Art Quilt Gallery in San Diego which has changing exhibits about every three months. And there is the volunteer organization Visions which offers the members opportunities to exhibit their quilts at the gallery and encourages this by sponsoring challenges for the members. Even if you live a great distance from San Diego, you can help support the work of promoting art quilts by being a Visions member and you can participate in the challenges. http://www.quiltvisions.org/
"Fantasy Flowers I" Julia Zgliniec - Poway, CA 12" square

I was fortunate to visit the Gallery soon after the "Fantasy Flowers" challenge quilts were hung in the foyer, so I had almost first pick of these inventive works. When I chose this one I didn't know who the maker was, so I was delighted and surprised to learn it was made by Julia, a friend of some years and the appraiser I use for the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection and for my own quilts.

Combining the colorfully dotted Australian fabric with the 'bubble' quilting in black thread gives this work both depth and motion.
Julia has backed the quilt with the same fabric and added a computer printed label giving all of her information.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

June said...

This is a fun piece, Del. It really works well.

Sorry the heat and humidity are getting to you, but I'm glad your computer files got saved. What a drag, and how wise you were to seek a second opinion!

I like your "old" photos --keep showing them.

Meggie said...

This quilt is gorgeous. It makes me wish my mind was so creative!