Sunday, February 3, 2008

Ruth McDowell quilts 02-05-08

Conversation on the Porch 1993 Ruth B. McDowell 54"W x 37.5L
When I started the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection in 1985 by buying one quilt at a guild auction, I didn't know that in twenty years there would be over ninety quilts in the TCQC - some large enough to cover a wall and some smaller than a postcard. I'm very attracted to the work of Ruth McDowell - great lady, great quilts - and in 1994 I purchased the quilt above, the first of many of Ruth's quilts that are now in the Collection. This week I will drive up to Pacific Grove to hang sixteen of Ruth's wonderful quilts at the Back Porch Fabrics. The exhibit will be up during the weeks of the Empty Spools seminars at Asilomar Conference Grounds - until April 16th. Each quilt is unique and each has a story. Check the shop website for open hours and allow time to select fabrics from the marvelous bolts that Gail Abeloe, shop owner, has collected. I rarely buy fabric elsewhere these days. http://www.backporchfabrics.com/gallery.htm
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Terry Grant said...

What a marvelous quilt! I am also a fan of Ruth McDowell's work and I think I like these chairs almost better than anything I have seen of hers. You must love having it.

Funny, I've been thinking about chairs too. Seeing this one will either inspire or intimidate me!