Sunday, June 28, 2009

Acquisitions/Two Terrys 06-27-09

The thing about collecting one-off quilts or original art of any kind is that one must buy it when it is available. Wait until next month or next year and one is generally too late. Therefore, when I don't have money to buy quilts, I can usually scrap up enough to purchase small items for my personal collections.
I have always been interested in birds - watching them, reading about them, learning about them, having them (actually, only one canary named Clyde, who has gone to bird heaven), and collecting images of them. This is "Arnold, the crow" who came from the creative hands of Terry Grant. Terry recently opened an Etsy Shop and started it off by offering six of her charming fabric birds. Arnold, at about 7" from tip of beak to tip of tail, is one of the larger birds in my collection and he is not the only crow, but he will fit in well. He is so handsome.Terry has added some elegant small quilts to her site. Check it out. www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7583915




"Broken Bulb" Terry Border of Bent Objects

Bent Objects is one of my favorite blogs and I try to read it every day. (I also check out the racier version, Really Bent) They almost always make me laugh, but occasionally I groan and sometimes I don't get it at all. I have never thought of buying one of Terry Border's works until I saw this one, which makes me smile if not laugh-out-loud. Terry has a great imagination, if a little twisted at times, and is a master at bending wire. Also, it is something he came up with all on his own. This is the sort of artist I like to support - one with original ideas and the perseverance to carry the idea to fruition. He will have a book coming out in the Fall.
http://www.bentobjects.blogspot.com/
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Thanks for the nice words, Del. I am sure Arnold will be happy in his new flock.

So, it seems this week you are collecting work by artists named "Terry"!

Christine Thresh said...

Congratulations on your handsome "Arnold." I'm now a collector too. I purchased "Emma Bird" from Terry Grant's Etsy store. Emma arrived at my place yesterday and I blogged about her today.

I think Terry Border of Bent Objects is so clever. I'd love to own one of his objects.

Rayna said...

I'm off to check out Terry's Etsy shop despite the way I feel about birds. And Terry Border's blog, too - thanks, Del.

Susan Turney said...

Hi Del,
Speaking of collecting quilts, look at the one I just got from Melody!
http://fibermania.blogspot.com/2011/03/its-small-wonderful-world.html
I've been drooling over it since she first posted a pic last year and finally took the big step. I'm going to decorate my living room around it!!