Sunday, November 8, 2009

A small quilt from TCQC 11-08-09

"I Know a Rhino" Ami Simms 2006 7.5"W x 5"L
I purchased this quilt from the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative in 2006. I love the rhino which was drawn/painted by Ami Sims mother years ago. Ami has described how, during her childhood, she could ask her mother to draw things for her - anything - and her mother could do it. Quite a talent there. It is so sad that we have lost such a gifted lady to Alzheimer's. There are always lots of little quilts that have been donated to the Initiative and they make sweet little gifts. Check them out at
This little quilt has "Fast Finished Corners" which were invented by Terry Chilko who donates quilts to this project. They work great for many sizes of wall quilts - but not too large. The sticks are restaurant chopsticks which I sawed off to the correct size.
You can read about this finishing technique at http://www.alzquilts.org/pagdisplay/html This little quilt is pictured as part of the technique explanation.
All the instructions for donating a quilt are on the AAQI website.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Ami Simms said...

Nice to see this little friend again. Thank you for what you wrote. I appreciate it very much!
Ami :)

Meggie said...

I think that is a lovely quilt, and I am so glad you have shared it with us.
I think it has wonderful energy & I can almost see the Rhino moving!