Monday, February 28, 2011

"Amidst the Fire" K. Grace Howes 02-27-11

Here is one of the quilts from the SAQA 2010 online auction last fall.  I cannot tell you exactly what "spoke to me" in this quilt.  Probably the color first, such a nice combination of red, acid green, yellow, purple and the tiny wedge of turquoise/green at the bottom.  Also, I find the vertical quilting lines done with variegated thread make a texture that is pleasing and that stack of acid green squares on purple, with three tiny dark blue beads in the center of each square, is very graphic and appealing.  This image is a little bright making the green so intense it almost hurts!  The piece of green fabric on the label is more realistic.

"Amidst the Fire"  K. Grace Howe - Huntersville, NC   2009  12"W x 13"L
Hand-dyed cottons, fusing, beading, machine appliqued and pieced and machine quilted.
The artist's statement was:  "There's a constant burning in my brain to produce, produce, produce. I can only do so much in the time given and yet, wonderfully, there is always another spark of creativity ready to be ignited. Much like an eternal flame, passion for the job never wanes."


The back is a colorful commercial batik.
There is an unusual sleeve which is very long and open on the bottom.  There are three inch openings near the top to insert a slat and then the sides are sewn down from there to the bottom of the sleeve.  

 
A simple label giving the necessary details.  I removed the phone number because one artist asked me to go back and remove her number from the picture.  I hadn't thought of that causing a problem, but I can see that it might.  So, I TRY to remember to always do it.  If I don't, please let me know.  http://www.redbarn-studios.com/
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Susan Brubaker Knapp said...

Grace is a good friend of mine, and her work is FABULOUS. I got to see this piece up close, and I loved it, too.

Grace said...

Del, thank you so very much for the wonderful words you've written about my piece. I am glad to know that you are enjoying having it in your collection. Brings a little tickle to my heart.

Mary Jo said...

Grace is a friend of mine and if you know her you know that she is just as special as her work is. I am always impressed with the things she does. Thanks for making her so happy!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful ! Grace's artwork and you having it in your collection now. I love her creativity, her choice of colours and textures, she is an endless and beautiful source of inspiration. Thanks for sharing.