Monday, January 2, 2012

Britt Friedman quilt in Collection 01-01-12

The image of this quilt and the original text was on my Blog 11-16-08.

This is the first quilt I purchased from a Visions exhibit. I thought it was wonderful from the first moment I looked at it - and I still do. It seems to be the very essence of cold, icy winter trees.  It happened that Britt was at the Visions opening in 2002, so we were able to meet and I took her picture with her quilt. She lives in Oberlin, Ohio, and has not made the trip to Oceanside in subsequent years.  I purchased another of her quilts at Visions 2008.

In 2002 there were not very many quilt makers using photos on fabric, so to me this seemed very different. I was at the gallery one day, admiring this newest addition to the Collection, when two older ladies came through and found flaws in every quilt. They seemed to like this one until they got really close; one leaned in for a two-inch view and declaimed, "Why that is just a photograph. That's cheating." I swallowed my laughter and drifted away, but I'm sure they found something wrong with every quilt in the gallery. Funny how some people 'enjoy' an exhibit, isn't it?


"Winter Tree"  Britt Friedman 2002 27"W x 34.5"L
Photo printed on fabric, machine pieced and quilted.

 Britt Friedman - November 2002

I don't find a website for Britt, but if you Google her name + quilts there are a number of references. 



Posted by Picasa

No comments: