Sunday, August 31, 2014

Another new Pamela Allen quilt in TCQC 08-31-14

As I said last Sunday, I do love Pamela's work.  It is so spontaneous, like a quick pencil sketch of a fleeting idea.  Of course, I know how many hours it takes to make even the smallest quilt and I appreciate her ability to make the finish product seem spontaneous. 
 
"Watching TV in Bed"  Pamela Allen  2014  9.5"W x 7.5"L
This quilt evokes sweet memories of my late husband.  Although we never had a TV in the bedroom, when he was ill we would snuggle in bed and talk about our life together. It is time that I now cherish.

Just look at all the hand embroidery Pamela has put into this small piece; French knots for curly hair and long straight stitches create elegant hands.
 
Her hair is detached chain stitch (what we called "lazy daisy" back in the day)  and the screen in the background looks like a couched filling stitch. 

This is the door on the TV set.  Just straight stitches going in different directions.  Forty years ago I might have gotten out my embroidery scissors and trimmed off all these loose ends, but now I see them as part of the charm of the composition - the "mark" of the artist.

The backing has no relation to the front, perhaps a small piece left from another project.  And her very informative and easy to read label finishes it off.
#   #   #

3 comments:

shilsenbeck said...

Very interesting piece. Based on the nice close up of the heads and hands, it looks like some parts are painted or inked. Love the sketchiness.

Loretta said...

I love her work! I think comfortable quilting!

Del said...

The hands are stitched, don't know about the two faces, could be printed or inked. I'll ask her about it. Del