Sunday, February 14, 2016

Re-visit a Ruth McDowell quilt 02-14-16

Here is another look at Ruth McDowell's "Duck Weeding" which is one of my favorite of Ruth's "Fowl" quilts.  She has made more chickens than ducks, but this one just appeals to me - the colors, the inclusion of traditional blocks, the serenity of the duck, the fabulous fabric choices - I don't really understand why - I just like it.
I posted it previously on 03-31-13 
 
"Duck Weeding"  Ruth B. McDowell  2012 18"W x 20.5"L
Commercial cotton fabrics (including Kaffe Fassett, Jane Sassaman, Merimekko), cotton batting, cotton thread.  Machine pieced and quilted. 
 
He even has curly feathers!
 
Great feet with the perfect fabric choice.

Ruth's traditional label, hand printed.  With a contact for her website.

A wonderful Marimekko back with a Jane Sassaman sleeve.
 #   #   #

4 comments:

Lisa from DippyDyes said...

How cool - thanks for posting it!

shilsenbeck said...

Del -- this is also one of my favorites. I really love the chicken and duck quilts, but the ducks are my favorites, and this one is especially wonderful.

Loretta said...

This is a lovely, cheerful and happy duck that's why we love this quilt so much. I hope Ruth is staying warm...they've had below 0 temps the past day or so!

Laura Jaszkowski said...

Thanks for posting this one. I don't remember it from your first posting. Ruth's work is always fascinating. She does the hard work of piecing everything unlike me, who uses fusibles. Her choice of fabric prints is always ingenious, too. I'm sure you really enjoy owning this one which seems prefect for approaching Spring.