Friday, May 25, 2018

Still catching up 05-24-18

I left you in Bend after a great dinner and a good rest.  On Monday, May 21 I left Bend and headed for Sisters, OR, where I made the compulsory visit to the Stitching Post, well known quilt shop that has a huge outdoor quilt show every July.  It is a charming small town and if room reservations are made well in advance it might be fun to be there on the day of the show.  I spent an hour and $92 at the quilt shop. 

As I said earlier, Bend is not the cow town I remember,  Driving through the outskirts there were a great number of newer houses, townhouses, apartments, dwellings!  Amazing. 

The three sisters showed up again across fields and pastures with cows and horses. 

 The sisters are off frame to the left and I think this is Mt. Washington on the right.  Lots of bicyclists around Bend and out onto the highway.  I believe the streaks in the sky are dissipating contrails. 

There is a nice little vista point that gives a diagram of the mountains, but not the one on the right!  In the middle of the picture is a post with a bird house right on the horizon line.  

The house is occupied by a pair of tree swallows who were gathering bugs for a brood.  They are very fast and I couldn't get a good picture.  But here in the bottom right corner is one that stopped to rest.  

Still life with lava rock. 

Here is the famous Stitchin' Post in Sisters.  

Awesome sight upon entering the door. 

Lovely little birdies.  They are from the book "Quilting Row by Row". 

Interesting quilts hanging on the high walls. 


I have seen these hill climbing houses somewhere before, great colors. 


They show modern quilts also, too bad this picture had to include a sunlit window. 


On one edge of a parking lot is this line of blossoming trees.  


Don't know what they are, fruitless something.  Cherry?  Apple? 


Then on the road again heading west.  It was a long slow drive, my average speed n Sisters and the I-5 at Salem was 42mph.  There was TRAFFIC.


The road started out nice and flat, but soon turned into a twisting uphill, downhill, narrow road with mostly two solid lines down the middle.  


Looking to the east side of the road the noon day sun turned everything bright green and the tree trunks a deep reddish brown,  Lovely. 


And, of course, the orange "cones" appeared.  We were high up in the mountains and at some time in the past there has been a fire in this area. 


Here we were diverted into the eastbound lanes while the westbound cars waited in a long, long line.   Do any of you remember before there were walkie-talkies or cell phones when there would be a guy at each end of the detour who would hand the red flag to the last car in line.  The driver of that car would pass the flag to the flagman at the other end of the detour.  And he would start the opposing traffic on its way.  And back and forth the flag would go.   


Here is the first of the line of cars going east.  See the flagman in the lower right.  He doesn't need a flag because he has a walkie-talkie or a cell phone or some such device. 


At last on the go again, behind a auto pulling a trailer.  He was my view for many miles. It seems that all the passing lanes are on the uphill (eastbound) side of the road. 

This is a river full of snow melt from higher in the mountains. 

When I got around the auto/trailer I started following this big flat bed truck. 

But the scenery was nice when I could take my eyes off the road.  Scotch Broom is wide spread up here, covering banks, fields, and roadside ditches.  

From here and throughout the drive to upstate Washington, it is everywhere.

At last I-5 above Salem where they have planted California poppies in the median strip. It was after 4pm and the "rush hour" traffic was heavy from this point on.

I took I-205 to the east of Portland, still heading north, and stopped at one of my favorite view points overlooking the falls at Oregon City and giving a great view of Mt. Hood when it isn't covered with clouds.  I was lucky this trip. 


This is the mountain I grew up with and I get very sentimental about it!

So, on around Portland and over the Columbia River near the airport.  Spent the night at a Hampton Court in north Vancouver.  Just snacked from my food box and had a good night. 
#   #   #

3 comments:

Loretta said...

Thank you for the tour of Sisters. I haven't been up there for quite some time, but spent a couple of vacations there visiting the marvelous quilt shows. The cooperation of the town's folks is admirable...so many get out very early in the morning to hang the quilts all over...store fronts, walls and porches of homes, fences, well, just everywhere. Jean Wells certainly worked hard to start up this marvelous community effort and for many years. My only complaint...the weather that July weekend is as hot as I've ever known. I found it hard to walk the streets viewing all of the quilts, however, I stuck with it because, as you might imagine, Sisters was glorious with quilts. There was entertainment in the parks with talks from quilters, workshops available, etc. A wonderful, wonderful memory! Thank you.

Rebecca said...

So much of interest here, especially having just finished a phone call with my sister in Vancouver. As a Seattle native, Rainier is "The Mountain" to me, but she has been in Oregon long enough to feel that way about Mt. Hood. It's nice to see real mountains, even if it's only in your pictures.

The contrails: there are definitely highways in the sky. I remember driving south from Minnesota on a clear, very cold day, and seeing the stripes when we were in Iowa east of Chicago.

I'm ambivalent about contemporary quilts. I imagine as a collector, you are more open to different/new ideas.

Ugh, Scotch broom. I prefer the local oleander.

Rebecca said...

Oops, that's WEST of Chicago! We were not driving a hydrocar!