Monday, April 6, 2020

Thursday was Orange 04-05-20

This past week the Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) asked members to post on their Facebook page, pictures of their quilts according to color.  So, Wednesday was Red, Thursday was Orange, and so forth.  The only quilt I showed was "Cactus Flower" on Wednesday, because it is very ORANGE.  The color is close to the top of my favorite colors, yellow being the most favorite, as anyone can tell.  I suppose the group will continue through other colors and maybe I will look up a picture in my files to post another day.  

"Cactus Flower"   Del Thomas  2000   61.5"W X 48"L
Commercial Cotton fabrics, Batiks, Hand-dyes.  
Cotton Batting and Thread.  Machine pieced and quilted. 

I started this in Ruth B. McDowell's Nature class at Empty Spools Seminars in 1999.  In March 2000 I spent a week in a house in Lake Havasu and this is what I worked on the entire time.  I had taken two large boxes of orange fabrics, but still had to visit the local quilt shop to find just one more!  At that time I was skeptical about putting paint on quilts (how old fashioned was that?), but couldn't find a print for the center of the flowers.  So, I went to Michael's and bought (of all things) puff paint in the appropriate colors and put little dots on a dark orange fabric.  It worked and I tried very hard to not apologize.  Now, twenty years later, I wouldn't give it a second thought.  How we grow!  


The quilt is all pieced, no applique, using Ruth's original methods with freezer paper templates.  
#   #   #

2 comments:

Carol said...

It is magnificent and I am privileged to have it on my wall right now!

Rebecca said...

I can see the Ruth B. McDowell influence! How funny about the paint.