Saturday, June 12, 2021

Friday Food 06-11-21


I used to love to cook and was considered a very good cook, but now I have lived alone for over 30 years and cooking for one is just boring.  I doubt if I could even make up a menu now.  I go to the market and buy what I have put on my list - the basics.  Then I wander around a bit and pick up some other things that look like they might be good.  When meal time rolls around I open the refrigerator and stare at what is there.  Sometimes I come up with odd combinations.  Here is one: a perfect Bartlett pear (and the second one to show how perfect they were), a slice of bread with a little mayo and two halves of sliced deli ham.  Along with my usual glass of milk.  Not much, but enough for this evening.  I have taken to eating a little something in the middle of the day, 3pm or so, then I am not very hungry at dinner time which comes about 8pm.  Many dinners are just veggies, I am fond of broccoli, carrots, spinach, and chopped salad.  Celery is a constant for me - raw, in something, or just braised.  My late husband asked me once if we could have something that didn't have celery in it.  It was a little surprising, since I like it I thought he did!  I avoid kale and green peas.  And liver!  If I want a REAL meal, I go out, but that has been difficult this past year.  I hope to go some place soon for my once a year steak.  I stick to chicken and fish and eggs and cheese, so a steak is a very special treat.  Anyway, food is not a very interesting part of my life these days.  Sorry to go on about it ,

#   #   #

 

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

You know with a little photoshop this could be a Richard Deibenkorn painting!