Thursday, April 27, 2023

A Visitor 04-27-23

The neighborhood likes to think this is the same great egret who visits every Spring, but I rather doubt it.  We aren't far from several lakes and reservoirs, along with flood control channels that have landscape runoff all year.  Could be any individual bird - always just one,  He wanders along the front yards gobbling up tasty bits, mostly lizards, I suspect.  I don't see into backyards, but imagine he checks out those as well.  




This yard is one of the more beautiful, flower filled and I have seen him there often. 

We have seen the egrets since we have lived here and I do photograph them.  Here is an image from 2009 with neck stretched out. 

They do stand very still for a long time, waiting for something to move.  Hard to spot them among the plants.  


KoKo is only midly interested.  I suspect he thinks they are just skinny white people.  While I photograph he usually plops down and rests a bit.  This is a lovely patch of pink ice plant that grows out onto the sidewalk.  

Sunny in the afternoon with temps about 80F.

#   #   #


3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Del Do the egrets make aa mess? We have random Canadian geese that poop like little dogs all over the place. And lots of deer that will eat all your flowers and evergreens . That being said all we have in my neighbor hood are squirrels and chipmunks with an odd possum or skunk every now and then. My neighbors dog got skunked and he apologized for the smell. I told him I just figured he and his wife were growing weed! He said no but the people across the street were if I ended any. LOL

Carol said...

Nice post!

Rebecca said...

It's interesting to see the egret in different surroundings. It seems to really stand out, despite your comment.

That is the bloomingest ice plant ever! The ice plant I walk past weekly is on a north-facing slope, and has scattered blossoms.