Sunday, June 18, 2023

Reading 06-18-23

I'm not sure I can keep up with two book groups.  I was invited to join the "Lit Group" (as in Literary) which has been going for quite a few years, but has lost members until they were down to four!  So, now we are six - all old and seemingly have lots of reading time.  I do read every day, but already have a stack of TBR (to be read) books that  would  probably  last me the rest of my life!  

For the LIt Group's Friday meeting we read Lisa See's "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" and everyone said they enjoyed it.  I made a brief  report on Lisa and her background.  We talked about  at least a dozen books we might read, but  no decision was made.  Plenty of time as this group doesn't meet in July and August.  I have started re-reading "On Gold Mountain", Lisa's first major book which traces her Chinese roots back four generations.  I enjoyed it so much when I first read it in 1997 that I have been a fan of her books ever since.  

My longtime Book Group is reading "The Enchanted April" by Elizabeth Von Arnim  Pub 1922 Movie 1991.  But I have not started it yet - I have 58 hours before the meeting on Wednesday.  I remember the 1991 movie which was wonderfully done and stays in my mind still.  Guess I had better get reading.  

The epidural seems to be working very well and I  have cut back on the Tylenol.  I  need to  make a follow up appointment with my new primary doctor.   I picked up my new glasses, but will need to go back for an adjustment on the focal distance.  It is way too close, I almost have to put my nose on the machine to see to sew.  Can't! 

#   #   #

1 comment:

Sally Morris said...

Loved Snow Flower, but Lisa See's newest, Lady Tan's Circle of Women, is even better. It starts with female doctors in the 14th C. I love stories of strong women doing the impossible. I listen on audible as I walk, but if my book group will do this (our books for the next few months have been selected) I will buy and read again. It's that good! Just before that I listened to The Covenant of Water, an Oprah choice. So often her book choices are similar women, and downers. This too is about a woman in medicine over several centuries. It is 700 pages, so very heavy. I listened to it daily as I walked. On audible it is 31 hours. Two of the best books I have read all decade! I learned much about the cultures of India in the later, and China in Lisa's book (besides foot binding).