Friday, November 10, 2023

Friday Food 11-10-23

When I look through my  pictures I  realize that I am more inclined to take pictures of desserts than of actual meals. So, these are either homemade or at unremembered  restaurants.

Avocado  toast which I have  enjoyed for decades,  before it had a  name!
This is homemade with toasted raisin-pecan bread, a thin spread  of  mayo, a tiny sprinkle of salt, and, as you can see, some black  pepper.

Sometimes I make it with frozen waffles!

One of  my favorite meals when I visited friends in San Juan Batista.
Mary would fix lamb chops and  baked potatoes and,on this occasion thinly sliced carrots, a tomato slice and some thin radishes. Located in the veggie capital of California there are always lovely fresh vegetables.  

A lovely fresh shrimp salad at an  unremembered  restaurant.
I do love shrimp, but rarely eat them unless I can be sure they are not treated with sulfites to keep them fresh.   Sulfites do a job on me. The blue flowers don't have a taste, they are just a delight to the eyes. 


This is an Indian meal from the family whose boys I take to school two days a  week.  The dad was born here and works from home except for Tues and Wed.  The mom, born in India, is a nurse who is studying to be an anesthesiologist assistant and has odd hours.  Both of them cook and will sometimes prepare extra  for me.  This is beef chunks, little pancakes with veggies, a "salad" of cut up fruits and veggies (papaya, green onions, cucumber, and other things).  Also a homemade naan.  Sometimes things are too spicy for my old stomach, but usually I can tune it down with plain yogurt and occasionally I put it in a strainer and run water over it before reheating it in the microwave. The food is varied and always tasty - even if I cannot identify it.  I believe they use these stainless steel plates and bowls as their every day dishes.  

#   #  #

1 comment:

abelian said...

Me, too! I’ve eaten “avocado sandwiches” all my life, and my Dad, who was a native Californian, probably had them since he was a child, too. Long before they got that New York name. We had an avocado tree in our back yard. Dottie