Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Ruth B. McDowell 06-24-24

I am very sad to tell  you that Ruth B. McDowell died on Saturday,June 22nd, she was just 79.  The cause was Multiple Myeloma.  She wasn't sick very long, but how would I know?  She was never one to complain.  When I learn more I will post any information.  

This  is a professional image used for some of her exhibits.

The best teacher I ever studied with, as she was for many of her students.  Here she shows the picture a student has decided to work with. 

The last class I had with her was her last session in Kalispell, Wyoming..  
Here she is talking about Susan Hillsenbeck's eggplant flower in progress. 

Ruth at the demo easel showing how to trace the sewing lines onto tracing paper.

Ruth and Pippi, her grand-daughter, take a walk.


"Conversation on the Porch"  Ruth B. McDowell   1993   37.5"L X 54"W
Cotton fabric, thread,and batting.  Machine pieced and quilted.

This is the first of Ruth's quilts I added to the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection in1994.  It is my favorite.

#   #   #











4 comments:

abelian said...

Oh, Del! That is such sad news. She was the best quilting teacher I ever had, too. And she’s still there in my head, helping me, when I choose fabric. I will always love using things like thrifted fabric (shirts, floral cotton bridesmaids’ dresses) and other non-quilting fabric. I’ll never be one to dye or paint fabric especially to fit into my quilt. Dottie

Anonymous said...

Ruth started me on my art quilt journey. This news is so sad.

Loretta said...

I am so sorry we have lost a very talented quilting friend. As we all know so well, she was the very best! Del, I am so sorry Ruth has passed on, she was a wonderful friend to you. Take care, and, please stay well. xo

Anonymous said...

Ruth was an amazing teacher and I learned so much from her! She will be missed.