Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Quilts 12-22-07

"Teenage Reindeer" Del Thomas 1993 27" x 31.5"
Christmas quilts have always been special to me - quilts that would cover the bed or hang on the wall for only about a month each year. Every year they were new all over again. But I have stopped decorating for Christmas and wondered what I could do with the quilts other then let them sit rolled up on a shelf. So, I donated them back to Beach Cities Quilters Guild for their December live auction. All of them were purchased at previous auctions, so the guild has benefited twofold and now someone else will be able to enjoy them at Christmas time. I did keep the Red & Green bed quilt I made about ten years ago, it is the warmest quilt I own and sometimes SCalifornia can get very cold. And I kept this little reindeer. In the early 90s I taught a class based on a great book by Judy Hopkins of Alaska, " One of a Kind Quilts" and this was one of my class samples. In fact, I have always thought the best of the bunch! If you know someone who is struggling with doing their own original designs this is a good book to get them going. You might find it in a quilter's used book sale, there were two printings several years apart. Tonight this little quilt hangs in the family room and the Red & Green is on the bed. I'm all ready for Christmas!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Christine Thresh said...

I'm so glad you kept that quilt to enjoy. The little squares look like Christmas hard candy.
Stay cozy.