Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sculpture - City of Brea 08-24-08

Placentia, CA, is basically a bedroom community that is surrounded by Anaheim, Yorba Linda, Fullerton and Brea. Anaheim, as everyone in the world knows, is the home of Disneyland. Yorba Linda features the Nixon Presidential Library/birthplace/burial site. Fullerton has California State University-Fullerton. Brea has a large shopping mall, but also a program of public sculptures which are required as part of any development. I don't know what the requirements are, but sculptures pop up all over the place. I have been tracking them down to photograph. The first thing I discovered is that most of them are not located so people can walk up to them. Sometimes I have to park a block or more away and walk through the shrubbery to even take photographs. Some have plaques that give the name of the piece and the artists name, but others seem to be anonymous. I know that a list can be seen at the City Hall and maybe they even have a copy I can take with me. I'll check it out later.

"Saturn Sail" done in 1985 by Harold L. Pastorius is located on Saturn Street. It is between the sidewalk and the building making it easy to access.



No plaque that I could find on these almost life-sized metal horses, also on Saturn St., at the entrance to a parking lot.


Admittedly, this is not intended to be a sculpture, but it could be, eh? "Water Valve Trio" by public works department? Also on Saturn St.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

meggie said...

The horses are fantastic.... no labels? How sad.
I agree about the water valves.. colour coded?

Christine Thresh said...

Water Valve Trio -- how clever!