Sunday, April 26, 2009

Quilt from TCQC 04-26-09

THE GATEHOUSE Elizabeth Barton - Athens, Georgia
37” W x 27” L ©2005

Using photographs and memories of her childhood in England, Elizabeth has created this image which suggests the gatehouse of a great estate. The fabrics she dyes, paints, screens, stamps and discharges, give the scene a dreamlike elegance and the yellow trees mark the time as autumn. This piece started out as a much larger quilt which Elizabeth felt needed cropping and it works as a more intimate view of a timeless English estate.

Hand dyed, painted, stamped, screened, discharge fabrics.
Cotton, silk, rayon, wool, furnishing fabrics.
Machine raw edge and turned applique, machine piecing and quilting.
One special thing about this quilt is the fence, which Elizabeth has used in several quilts. It is, I believe, a silk screen and lends itself to many different applications, but it is especially nice as the fence in this quilt.
I am still waiting for replies from my Empty Spools Seminar classmates about whose quilt is whose. When I have their answers I will post the pictures of the class. I am still at Mary's, but the car is packed and I plan to leave early tomorrow for the drive home.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

meggie said...

Del, I would love to be in that car, with you, & enjoying the journey!

Kristin L said...

I love how this piece by Barton is a more abstract than many of her others. It has a monoprint quality to it that I really enjoy looking at. :-)

I'm also excited that there's a Pamela Allen quilt (or more than one, I forget now) in the Thomas Collection. I love her quilts and am a little jealous that you've taken a class with her. I'm considering coming to Asilomar next year and hope that Allen teaches again!

Patty ♣ said...

Del, I hope for your travels today to be safe! I am looking forward to more pictures, and words about your time at Empty Spools!