Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful Thanksgiving 11-25-10

Being Thankful
After years of typing letters, keep lists and doing other computer work before the Internet, I was skeptical when everyone started connecting with everyone else, but by the turn of the century I was online with the multitudes. I have always made a class list for the classes I take at Empty Spools/Asilomar and the first time anyone listed an e-mail address was February 1996. In 1997 there were four, in 1998 there were nine, by 2000 more than half (17) of the class members were online. This year all 38 students in the two classes I took listed an e-mail address. Wikipedia says that as of June 30, 2010, the estimated population of Internet users is 1.97 billion . It swamps my brain to think that I could be connected to so many people around the world. And I have connected - to online friends in the USA, Canada, Belgium, Germany, Japan, New Zealand, Australia and on around the world. Amazing! This year the Internet tops my list of things that I am thankful for.

A close second is Corky, the Poodle Prince, who adds so much love to my life. It is that unconditional love that dogs give to their caretakers that keeps depression at bay for me. For various reasons I have been without a pet for about 36 years and have said that when I stop traveling I will have a dog or a cat. Meanwhile, Corky fills my heart. And I am thankful for his parents, Sherry and Jim, for sharing the little guy with me and for all their kindnesses.

I am thankful for friends who watch out for me and make time for me in their busy lives. As much as I have lived alone in my lifetime each year makes me more appreciative of the kindness of friends.

I am thankful that I am over the bronchitis which has become an almost chronic condition for me the last few years. I hope I can improve my resistance and not have to suffer another month-long bout - ever again!

Along with the vast majority of Americans I am thankful that I live in this country and have the freedom to live my life as I choose. Today I chose to stay home alone and to sit out in the direct sun for ten minutes which is probably why I am in such a good mood! Sunshine does that! And it is so quiet today without the traffic noise from the two freeways that each run about two miles from the house.
I hope you all are able to enjoy Thanksgiving in the way you like best. Thanks for being a friend. Love, Del-at-home
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Lovely post, Del. I am thankful for the internet too. Without it I would never know you.

Beverly said...

I agree with Terry- lovely post. Gratitude is a habit we could all benefit from cultivating. As for the internet, I can't imagine life without it. It's connected me with a multitude of quilters and artists I would never have met otherwise.

Martha Ginn said...

Del, it is such a pleasure to read your blog and see how you share with others, adding much happiness to your life and ours. I know you will miss Corky while he is with his folks!

Anonymous said...

Sweet post today, Del. I stop by to read what you are doing and always enjoy the little glimpse into your day. Thanks for being there.
Linda

Mary Ann said...

The internet is a great link to the world, especially among us far flung art quilters. And amen to pets, my Dyna and I have a snuggle fest every day since I am alone. And she knows a lot of secrets too!
Happy T-day del
Mary Ann

Amy Milne said...

I'm thankful for you, Del, and the incredible work you're doing as a collector and documentarian of contemporary quilts.