Sunday, January 2, 2011

Quilt by Deborah Boschert from SAQA Auciton 2010

"Possibilities" Deborah Boschert 2010 12" X 12"
Cotton fabric, newspaper, paint, beads, sequins, embroidery thread. Raw edge applique, embroidery stitches, beading, printing, air brush (?), fusing, hand and machine stitching. If you focus on the background in the center you will see a bird (dove?) flying there.
This is another purchase from SAQA Auction 2010. I have seen Deborah's work many times and always admired it, but this quilt truly 'spoke' to me. She told me via e-mail that she worked on it when their family was preparing to move to another state. She said, "There are subtle and not-so-subtle images of growth, adventure, flight, communication, order and stability in the quilt. Life (and art) is always a balance of all these ideas."
The calligraphy is on a newspaper that Deborah picked up at an Asian grocery when she lived in Dallas. She adhered it to muslin with gel medium and stitched it as though it were fabric.
The stones give a strong base to this piece and Deborah has hand stitched across the binding to make the base even stronger - it is one of the touches that makes her quilts uniquely hers.
The back is covered with a layer of fabric, so the stitching is not visible from the back. I've known several quilters who do this, but I don't understand why.
Deborah is one of the "Twelves" - twelve quilters from around the world have an ongoing project that challenges their creativity and helps them grow in their work. See Deborah's work at http://deborahsjournal.blogspot.com/ or at http://twelveby12.blogspot.com/
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Thank you so much for posting about my quilt. I am honored that you added it to your collection and supported SAQA with the purchase.

I like to do the hand embroidery through the top and the batting. It provides a nice weight and body for the stitching. Generally I also do the free motion quilting through the batting and top only. This allows me to continue to make various design decisions as I work. Fusing the backing on as the very last step covers up the backside of the embroidery. Free motion quilting stitches can be lovely from the back of a quilt, but trails and knots of floss are a bit messy. If a show requires "stitching through three layers," I would add a small bit of machine quilting through the backing. Technically, the top is made up of more than one layer, so even without the backing it could be considered three layers.

Thanks again, Del! You are an inspiration.

Rayna said...

This is a charming piece of work; I can see why you added it to your collection.

dee said...

I have four pieces of Deborah's work and enjoy them because of their simplicity and beautiful needlework. Even on the post card sized pieces. Very nice work on this one. My favorite part is the calligraphy she makes onto fabric. That little bit of Asian print gelled onto cloth is just great and so Deb.

June said...

This is one of those collages that I am instantly drawn to. Collage isn't my favorite style; I often find it mystifying, perhaps because I haven't the patience to work through all the elements. Even the colors here charm me -- and they aren't colors I would ever choose.

This is one of those pieces that make me aware of my own limiting opinions. Thanks, Del. And thanks, Deborah.

Kristin L said...

It's so wonderful to see Deborah's work in the Thomas collection. I love that her collages are beautiful to look at, but I think what makes them so special is that there is always an underlying story if one wants to look for it. :-)