Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Dinner at Solare in SDiego 01-20-15

Visions has new exhibits which opened on Saturday and I drove down for the opening reception  It was very well attended and a number of the artists were present.  Fun to have a few minutes visit with people I don't see very often. And to meet some artists I didn't know before.  Some very nice work; some serious, some witty - a nice selection, I think. 

After the reception some of the Visions people went to dinner at Solare.  I've always enjoyed their food in the past, but they must have been having an off night.  Not only did we have to wait for our table (we had a reservation), but then we waited on the waiter whenever he felt like coming around.  Here are two of the main dishes at the table.  

This was the beef selection on the special menu for the evening.  The diner said it was very good.  And it certainly was a nice presentation. 

This was my chicken selection, it was a little tough and I'm not sure what all was in the melange underneath - mushrooms mostly.  I only ate about half so brought the remainder home to have for dinner last night.  The chicken was still tough and I cooked some Swiss chard to go with the mushrooms and whatever. 


This was sort of a corn cake atop burned onions and, maybe, spinach.  I skipped the burned onions and whatever, but the corn cake was very good. 

I think I won't dine at Solari very often.  I'd rather go to Ikiru and have sushi, anyway!
It was rather late when we finished dinner, but I decided to just drive home rather than stay at a motel.  I wasn't sleepy and I do sleep better at home.  The next day I took a long nap - driving is more tiring now than it was even a year ago.  Old bones! 
#   #   # 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Next time you're in San Diego, you might want to try Bijou in La Jolla. My son-in-law, formerly sous chef at William Bradley's Addison, is chef de cuisine there, and it's been rated one of the top 12 French restaurants in the nation by Zaggat. Mention me to your server and my son-in-law will make sure you get the royal treatment! The menu he's developed is delicious.