Sunday, February 26, 2017

Revisiting a quilt by Sally Sellers 02-26-17

Between the wind and the rain, I have not been able to photography any new quilts.  So, this is another revisit. Originally posted 06-20-10   Del
 
 
 
Here is another of the foot square quilts I purchased at the 2007 SAQA auction. I don't have much information about it and Sally doesn't have images of her quilts posted on her website. But I have seen her work for many years, perhaps dating back to the first issue of Art/Quilts Magazine (which is no longer published) and have always admired it. When I think of her, I think of houses and beading, so this was the perfect quilt to fit into the TCQC.
"House" Sally Sellers - Vancouver, WA. 2007 12" x 12" Hand and machine stitching, hand embroidery,  hand beading, tied.  Cotton Fabric and Batting, a button. .

Tiny blue beads form the moon and faceted blue beads sprinkle the roof. The bugle beads lined up on the roof top make me think of neon lights - don't know why. She has filled the shockingly pink night sky in the background with French knots and created a lawn in straight stitch with many color threads.
 
The back is made from a Sherrill Kahn print that I also had on my shelf and had a lot of fun with. You'll note that there is no label, instead Sally has signed the front of the quilt on the binding in the lower right corner. Note also that for the binding across the bottom she has used some of the backing fabric. It seems to extend the lawn into the binding.
06-24-10 Sally responded to my e-mail telling her I had posted her quilt: "This house was totally for fun, fun, fun. No agonizing over details, no angst about design, just grab some color and make it happen. I hadn't seen it since I sent it in to the auction, so am delighted to see it again now. I was doing all the things I love to do: stitch with embroider floss, add beads, use color. I continue to do that with larger projects. I have a zillion beads now but know nothing about jewelry -- I use them all on fabric. Thanks so much for purchasing it.
Posted by Picasa
 
 
 
 






1 comment:

Loretta said...

A wonderful little quilt...love the French knot stars! Thank you.