Sunday, March 19, 2017

Revisiting a Caryl Bryer Fallert quilt from 2003 03-19-17

I posted this quilt in December 2008 and have copied the caption I wrote then.  I remember that I was surprised when it arrived in the mail that it is so heavy, but all those seams really add up.  I like the name "Reflection" as it looks like that to me. Caryl's website is still one of the best - I recommend it. 
 
 
Reflection #9 Caryl Bryer Fallert 1993 36"W x 26"L
In 2003 someone alerted me to art quilts being offered on eBay. Of course, I had to look! There were a number of quilts, plus paintings and, if I remember correctly, some sculpture, all from a corporate collection and all up for auction. I checked with Caryl, who had not been advised of the sale and she confirmed that some of the quilts on the listing were those she had made in 1993 for the corporate client. Now the corporation was closing one of their locations and was selling the art. The starting prices were ridiculous - this quilt started at $25. Low prices like this are bad for the artist and bad for the market because they warp the value of art quilts. I ended up with three of her quilts. This one uses the 3-D tucks that, as far as I know, she invented.
If you have not been to Caryl's website, put aside a day to wander through it. She offers more information than any other quilt maker/artist - it is a great website.
 
#   #   #

No comments: