Monday, March 27, 2017

Ruth McDowell's "Flamingoes" 03-27-17

This is a repeat of a post from December 23, 2013.  It is a fabulous quilt, one of Ruth's best, I think.  So, I am sharing it again, so that more readers can enjoy it. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 www.ruthbmcdowell.com
 
Just a few weeks before the current [2013] exhibit was hung at Visions Art Museum in San Diego an estate auction company in Olympia, WA, contacted Ruth McDowell (using the contact on the quilt label - hint, hint) about this quilt which they found in the possessions of a lady who had recently died. The estate people had never seen anything like it and had no idea of its value.
 After talking to the lady, Ruth told her that she might know someone who would be interested in buying the quilt and gave her my number.  Then she called me.  I could hardly wait.  When the call came I told the lady that I could not go to Olympia for an auction, but I was interested in buying the quilt outright.  We came to agreement on the price and I called my credit card company to warn them - my limit isn't very high and wouldn't cover the quilt.  And the estate company wanted either cash or credit card.  They shipped the quilt and I had just enough time to photograph it and get the photo in the gallery guide.  Whew.  Since I was taking it to VAM I didn't hang it in my house, so the first time I ever saw the quilt on the wall was at the gallery.  It looks fabulous!  Thanks to Ruth for making the quilt and for making my connection.


"A Rash of Flamingoes"  2000  Ruth B. McDowell - Colrain, MA  100"W x 52"L
Commercial, hand-dyed, batik cotton fabric; cotton batting, cotton threads.
Machine pieced and quilted.

This quilt appears in Ruth's book "Fabric Journey", publ by C and T 2005. and in "Ruth B. McDowell's Design Workshop" publ by C and T 2007.

Ruth sold this quilt in 2000 to a lady who lived in Alaska, so I'm happy that the Flamingos are finally in the sunshine of sunny Southern California.


Ruth does such amazing things with her fabric choices.  Who else would use one fabric between the legs and others in the background? 

A rather realistic eye staring out at us.

Notice the flowery fabrics (like 30s reproductions) used for feathers.
I think of the silvery ribbon fabric at the bottom left as the water the flamingos are wading in.


The value contrasts make these guys look three dimensional.

This is a quilt I could hang with the back out.  Merimekko is wonderful, isn't it?


A fancy label.  Notice that there is a street address so someone can contact the artist.

www.ruthbmcdowell.com
#   #   # 

6 comments:

Loretta said...

Oh my, this is a favorite of mine too. Spectacular use of fabric and her design work is superb! Thank you for re-sharing this one!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites from Ruth's book! You're lucky to have it. Thanks for sharing the great detail photos.
- Amy in Austin

Cindy Cooksey said...

Wow, spectacular is the word for this quilt!! And I loved hearing your story about how you acquired it. Thanks for sharing this.

OPQuilt said...

You are really lucky--such a fabulous quilt! Thank you for sharing the story with us.

Ellen Lindner said...

Such a fabulous quilt! In my top 10 favorites. How nice to have it in your collection.

Carol said...

Loved seeing it at Visions. What a special quilt!