Sunday, March 11, 2018

Sue Benner's "Flowers" class at Empty Spools 03-11-18

I started a cold on Wednesday, Feb 28th, so it has been twelve days.  Usually it takes about three weeks for me to completely recover from bronchitis - sometimes longer.  But I have been very good this time, not using my voice, resting, drinking fluids, blah, blah, blah, so I may be well sooner than usual.  I'm still coughing, but the only body ache left is the chest, from coughing.  

Here are some pictures from students in Sue Benner's class.  It is a very good class taught by an outstanding teacher.  I hope you will try to take it, it is very worthwhile. 

At the bottom is Leslie's first project with four blocks and the spare at upper right. At the top are the nine blocks she made for her second project. 


After moving them around, overlapping and turning them, she decided to cut the blocks into fourths and then came up with this arrangement which has not yet been fused to the backing.  

This is the first project by Lisa Jenni, along with her spare block.  The idea of making five blocks and having one "reject" is very worthwhile.  Sue continues this in the large project by having everyone make at least ten blocks, of which nine will be used.  Some of us made more to give us more choices.  

Lisa's table while she is assembling blocks from her cut pieces. 


Lisa Jenni with the blocks she had completed for her 2nd project.  Sue said Lisa is the first person in her flower class to use a five sided figure.  We are all eager to see how it turns out.  
Lisa introduced herself and told me one of her quilts is in TCQC.  I had never met her and purchased her quilt "Nature''s Lace" at the Association of Pacific Northwest Quilters in Seattle in 2011.  I always get a thrill when I meet an artist whose quilt is in TCQC.  
"Nature's Lace"  Lisa Jenni  2011  36"W x 24"L

Susan West  has twelve blocks in her second project.  I believe she is going to leave them uncut and in this order.  Perhaps she is auditioning a border with the purple fabric on the right. 


Tina Neppl with her twelve blocks arrayed on her table. 

Patty Hinkel's ten blocks for her second project. 

Patty Hinkel's first project with four blocks; One whole, two cut in half and one cut in quarters. 

I'll have more class work throughout this next week.  Check back and enjoy.
#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Great fun class and the results are wonderful surprises! I remember seeing Lisa Jenni's "Natures Lace" in person but don't remember where....perhaps Visions a number of years ago? It is beautiful and her variety of greens, some overlapping, are a special treat! Thank you.