Sunday, September 22, 2019

Brain games on the road 09-21-19

People ask me what I do when I am driving on a road trip.  I mostly look at the landscape - the birds, trees, shrubs, flowers, crops, buildings, etc..   I listen to music and sometimes play a recorded book.  But I also exercise my brain by playing license plate Scrabble.  The standard California plate has a number, three letters, and three numbers.  I use the letters to make words and I have made up my own rules.   I don't keep score, that would be too distracting.  The very short glimpse of a plate doesn't leave a lot of time for contemplation - find a word or forget it.  Of course, the goal is to make a word and one that is already made is a "bonus".  My rules are that I can add as many letters as I chose, but I cannot drop any letters.  Q, X, Z are wild so can be used or replaced with a vowel, but not with any other consonants.  Proper names and places are okay. 

The point of this is to occupy my brain and my memory and my vocabulary.  It is just a silly game that I play with myself whenever and wherever I am driving. 

If I am on the highway there is usually just enough time for one word, if the vehicle is out of sight it is too late to rethink.  I saw this one as SHRUB, but it could also be HUBS, BUSH. or probably a lot of other words. 

The first word that came to mind was WIGGLE.

Here I thought MAZE, but I could replace the Z with an I and make it AIM. Or probably a dozen other modifications.  AMAZON,  AMAZE, etc..

Replace the Z with I = MIKE, MILK, etc. 

Replace the Q with A = MAY, YAM, MANY, etc. 

BUCKET, TIMBUKTU, BUCK, BUICK, etc. 

KEG, EKG, ………………?

Like I said, it is just a silly brain exercise.  It works out-of-state, and some states also have three letters.  But there are usually some California cars around.  Californians do travel. 

#   #   #

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I thinks it's a perfect game :-)

Just returned to your blog today, I'm mostly at IG these days, but still reading blogs.