Sunday, September 27, 2020

Trying to get back to blogging 09-27-20

Have not been able to blog since last week.  On Thursday my dear friend Mabel Huseby of Mt. Vernon, WA, died.  She had been diagnosed with colon cancer in July, had surgery, went through two sessions of chemo therapy pills and ended up back in the hospital.   It was just too much for her, she was 89.  We met in 1999 at Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar and just hit it off as good friends.  We started writing e-mails back and forth every evening in 2010, so we were very connected in our every day lives.  There is such a huge empty place in my life I am having a hard time adjusting.  I last saw her in August 2019 when I drove up and spent a couple weeks there, including five days at a class with Sue Benner at the Coupeville Art Center and KoKo stayed with Mabel and Mac in Mt. Vernon.  We had planned another visit for May 2020, but that didn't work out due to the Virus.  Thought about going in October, but it didn't look much better than the May trip.  So now I will never see her again and I just can't get my mind around that.  

Just a week before I had gone to Oceanside Museum of Art to see the Southern California Contemporary Quilt exhibit so I have pictures of that that I want to post.  I'll try to do that soon.


#   #   #



7 comments:

Gayle M P said...

Oh Del

I am so sorry to hear your dear friend Mabel has died. It looks like she is enjoying the moment with Koko on her lap in your photo. What a treasure to have such a special friend whom you communicated with daily.

I look forward to seeing the rest of your photos from Visions Museum when you blog again. I enjoyed a show there when we visited the San Diego from New Zealand in about 2012. I had been alerted to it from reading your blog. Thankyou for all that you share. I admire your knowledge of quilts and quilters.

Mary Ann said...

So sorry to hear that your friend passed away. It's one of the disadvantages of getting older, we lose friends and family. We can but hope they are waiting to welcome us on the other side.
But glad to see you back in the here and now!

Anne Weldon said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, a good friend is so precious. I wuss you well.

Loretta said...

I am so sorry to hear your friend Mabel passed away. I understand about that hole left by her passing. I am pleased that you have returned to sharing news of quilting and of KoKo's antics! Please, stay well.

Martha Ginn said...

Del, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your quilting friend. This year the loss of special friends seems extra cruel in light of all the other disruptions. I have lost two to death, another to relocating out of town in a care facility, and another to the gradual deterioration of thinking processes. As we age, we face the fact that those special people are also ageing. It is amazing how close we can feel to people who share our interest that we correspond with.

Loretta said...

Good Morning Del, I'm just stopping by to say hello and to let you know I'm thinking of you and hope you and KoKo are continuing your walks around the neighborhood. Please take care and stay well...

Loretta said...

Good Morning Del,
Stopping by this morning to wish you a lovely walk today with KoKo. Folks in my neighborhood are decorating for Halloween. Skeletons are all about! My world wind week with John Muir Laws', naturalist, artist, and kind and interesting person, Wild World Conference was exceptional. He and his assembled group of naturalist put on a Zoom festival with exceptional teachers and folks well involved in all areas of nature. Wow! my head is spinning with new information, inspiration and ideas. See his blog sites: https://johnmuirlaws.com/nature-journal-club/. A little change of pace for you, while sharing my love of nature. Take care, stay well and be kind to each other!