Friday, May 7, 2021

Flowers, again 05-07-21


This cactus grows on the next street close to the sidewalk and we see it almost every day when we walk.  But I hadn't noticed any buds or blooms previously.  There must be 20 or more "columns" and some have fallen over and grow almost horizontal.  The bed they are in is all yellow gazanias, rather unkept and scraggly.  I don't know if they get any water. 
 
Although the flower looks much like a Selenicereus (Queen of the night) it is not. These images were taken about 10am so it is not a night bloomer.   It might be an Echinopsis, but the ridges and spines seem too close together for that.   

You can see another bunch of the columns in the background.  

Whatever it is, it is very lovely and I hope more blossoms will appear, although I didn't see any buds growing.  However, I didn't see this until it was wide open.  

This is my reference book for this sort of plant.  Usually I can find an identity for the plants I photograph, but nit in this instance. 

#   #   # 

1 comment:

Martha Ginn said...

Del, I have fallen in love with succulents in the last several months. Not specially cactus, but more the "hen and chicks" type of fat-leaf ones. I've been reading up on them and have even ordered some proper soil to transplant some into. I have a three-tiered shelf in my garage near the back door that I see more often than my flowerbeds, so I'm adding some small pots there and learning how to care for them. The brightly colored begonias and coleus in the bed by the driveway are my pride and joy and I really enjoy them. It is close enough for me to keep well-watered. Two other beds are a little more work, but if the hydrangeas bloom this year (after NOT last year) I will do whatever they need.
Glad you were able to get with friends!