Sunday, May 9, 2021

Quilt from the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection 05-08-21

For quite a few years I posted a quilt from the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection every Sunday.  Don't know how I got away from that and I think I will start doing it again.  So, here is the first of many.  There are now about 380 quilts in the Collection from postcard size to a few that fill a wall.  I do have my favorite artists, there are 34 Ruth B. McDowell quilts!  


"The Red Hen" Ruth B. McDowell  2010 17"W X 20"L
Commercial cotton fabrics, cotton batting, cotton thread.
Machine pieced (straight line piecing) and machine quilted. 

Ruth's method of piecing is complicated to learn, but once mastered it is a very effective way to construct a quilt.  I have taken dozens of classes from her and always hoped I could acquire the skill she has at fabric selection.  She is the very best, but I have concluded that it is an intuitive skill, not one that can be learned.  This quilt shows some of that skill.  Who else would use a plaid against a large flower and the various patterned white for the background?  And look at those outrageous feet!   You will see more of Ruth's chicken (and duck) quilts in future postings.  I find them enchanting.
#   #   #





1 comment:

Loretta said...

Enchanting indeed!!! I LOVE Ruth's quilts and her duck/chicken/rooster series are especially wonderful...thank you.