Saturday, October 23, 2021

More PIQF from other sources 10-23-21

To see the winning quilts at PIQF go to:

https://www.quiltfest.com/upcoming-shows-and-events/pacific-international-quilt-festival/httpswww-quiltfest-comupcoming-shows-and-eventspacific-international-quilt-festivalenter-the-quilt-and-wearable-art-competitions-2enter-the-piqf-quilt-competition/enter-the-quilt-and-wearable-art-competitions/

There might be a shorter way, but I don't know it. 

Nancy Ota had three quilts in the exhibits and one with a blue ribbon for best color in the "Modern" category.  Nancy does beautiful work and makes many quilts.  

"Drunkard's Maze  Nancy Ota 2021  58" square
Nancy says: "I was impressed with Susan Maynard Arnold’s “Zebra Dancing in a Rainbow” which appeared in Mary Mashuta’s book “Stripes in Quilts” in 1995.  So I gave it a try. I have many of the same Pointillist and stripe fabrics in my stash for years.  It was a challenge with my color limitations as most of my fabrics were only 8 1/2” wide. My son Chris drafted the pattern on his computer for me."

"Fragmented"  Nancy Ota  2021  
Nancy pieced this during Covid using many batiks given to her by a friend.  She says the hardest part was trying to get it to lay flat.


"Happy Birds"  Nancy Ota 2020  72" square
From a Jen Kingwell design, hand appliqued and machine pieced. Nancy says, "The center medallion portion is hand quilted, the outer areas are machine quilted.  I did the center applique at home, the piecing was done on our 61 day cruise on the Pacific.  I took my Singer Featherweight on the ship.  Bud helped prepare the hexagons on stabilizer fabric and I hand appliqued them.  The parts were pieced together at home and then quilted."

If you want to see more of the quilts shown try Googling PIQF 2021 or any variation you can think up.  There are pictures in other blogs and websites. 

We had rain this morning!  It didn't amount to much, just enough to dampen everything, including KoKo and I when we took our walk.  The large storm that is supposed to move down from the Pacific Northwest is expected Sunday night and Monday.  Hoping for some real rain.

#   #   #



1 comment:

Loretta said...

Good Morning,

Put on your waders, rain coat and rain hat, the storm reached Marin last night and wow! lots of wind and heavy rain -- a blessing since we haven't had rain for so long, however, it could have eased in with less energy! I have lots of cleanup: two large umbrellas on the deck and lots and lots of debris from the oaks and sycamore! Enjoy the rain and wind....we are needing it to save some of our trees, etc. Take care.