Friday, October 22, 2021

More from PIQF '21 10-22-21

There were quilts from the World Competition that Mancuso runs every year, but not as many quilts or all the countries.  There were many from Australia.  This first one my photo of the label was too blurry, so I enlarged it and copied what I could read.  A few words are missing. The dark bar near the top is from the pole inserted in the hanging sleeve.  All the big shows use the large poles so if the sleeve is small the top curves over.  A reminder to always put at least a 4" sleeve and leave some ease when sewing down the bottom edge. 


"The Red Center"  Wendy Nutl 36" X 36"  There are many long, straight roads in Australia.  Well known is the Eyre Highway, named after Edward John Eyre, who was the first white man on the Nuffarbor Plain.  The straight stretch of road runs 90 miles (146km) and cuts through the center of Australia.  The Red Center is the colloquial name for the vast desert in central Australia which is  ..... tourists traveling the Eyre Highway.

Another from the World Competition:

While I was in Pacific Grove I took a three hour ZOOM workshop with Benda Gael Smith who is in Copacabana, Australia.  It was offered by Canyon Quilters in San Diego and I had signed up before I knew I was going up to PIQF.  So, I just packed my machine and the items on the materials list and set up in my motel room.  It worked out very well and I enjoyed Benda as a teacher and the ZOOM workshop format.  I will take another virtual workshop one of these days.  Now that teachers have learned how to do it and are all set up with their lessons on film I know this will be an ongoing thing for the future. 

And a few more from the World competition:






And back to the PIQF competition: 


Zena has been winning ribbons for at least thirty years!  And this amazing piece won a blue ribbon for handwork.  It is hand appliqued and quilted to perfection.  I have always admired her pieces and was glad to see this one with yet another blue ribbon.  Congrats to Zena. 












And here is the strangest hanging situation I have ever seen.  Wonder why they didn't hang it lower.  I had to hold my phone over my head to take the pictures! 
Note that it has a blue 1st place ribbon, but I don't know the category.  Sorry. 




And here is a view down one aisle on Sunday about 2pm.  I do hope we are all gung ho next year to keep the big shows in business. 

To the left is a display of patchwork coats from Rachel Clark and two of her sewing friends.  And on the right is a Cherrywood Challenge.  Bob Ross?  I have forgotten!!!

#   #   #





2 comments:

Loretta said...

Thank you so much for sharing...

sonja said...

wonderful to see quilts and read about process. thank you for your excellent reporting and fine photos. much appreciated by those of us who create and don't get around these days!!