Saturday, February 11, 2023

Back 20 years 02-11-23

I started attending classes at Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar (Pacific Grove, CA) in March 1991.  Except for the Covid years I have gone every year.   I find a favorite teacher and take all the different classes they offer and then repeat them.  I suppose my motivation is to go and enjoy the atmosphere and the people and to restore my creative spirit.  Not necessarily interested in learning a new technique, but most of the teachers I take always have something new to share.  

Sue Benner Landscape class March 2003 
This is a really terrible image, but it is the oldest one from Empty Spools that I have in my computer.  Sue Benner is center front and the classroom is the chapel, the very worst location for a class.  There I am seated, wearing a hat of course.  To my right is Corky Ledbetter who now lives in Savannah, GA, and doesn't come out these days.  Behind me with a maroon undershirt is Elizabeth Byrom who now lives full time in France.   The second lady behind Sue is Mary Leakey, long time friend who lives in San Juan Bautista, CA.  On the far left of the picture the second lady in is Judy House who died in 2005.  I have class lists for every class and I'm sure that some of these students have been in classes with me in the last twenty years.  Some years I took two sessions and once I did three (which is a whole different story).  These days I am not in good physical shape and can barely manage one session.  I am registered for Sue Benner's class in late March and am so looking forward to going; hope I can keep up. 

Such treasured memories over 32 years.  More to come, I hope. 

#   #   #




3 comments:

Loretta said...

How very perfect to have taken years and years of Empty Spools. I think I've only enjoyed and participated in about 10 years of special times at Asilomar!

Rebecca said...

I have been tempted by Empty Spools for many years now; a temptation reinforced by your love of it. This year, there is a class I have been wanting to take (in person) being taught by a person who is retiring soon. That should make me decide! I just don't know if I'm that self-indulgent, especially since I would need a single room as a snorer.

Sherrie Spangler said...

I've always wanted to go to Empty Spools, but so far it hasn't been in the cards. Maybe one of these years.