Friday, February 10, 2023

Friday Food 02-10-23

Once in a while I have the urge to drift back in time and have breakfast at a sort of old fashioned "CAFE" (see that in neon).   That means "Paul's Country Kitchen", which used to be the Two Sisters Cafe, in Placentia.  Since it changed hands there is new paint and some decor, but basically it is the same cafe it has been for the thirty plus years I have lived here.   And is so much like cafes I have visited across the country and, of course, during my childhood all those years ago.  My favorite in Portland, OR, was Buttermilk Corner in downtown, a rare, but wonderful treat.  

Paul's serves the usual cafe breakfasts.  This time I had two enormous pancakes, two over-easy eggs, two slices of crisp bacon, and about three cups of coffee w/cream.  I can never finish the pancakes which cover the standard dinner plate and they always ask if I want a takeout box and I want to say in a shocked tone " doggy bag pancakes -yuck!", but I just say "no thank you".  They are very good, but I doubt that would carry over into my microwave!  Besides I would have to provide the syrup.  

                                 

Their indoor sign is painted on fabric, but not quilted.  
Somehow it FEELS like a quilt and makes me feel at home. 

Just below this lovely sign is a large crock pot with water. 

And in the crock pot are a bunch of long-necks (as in beer) topped with spouts which are filled with delicious maple syrup and kept warm to top your delicious, enormous pancakes.  So clever.

Of course, there is inflation.  Never thought I would pay this much for a pancake breakfast.  But it was worth every bite.  

Meanwhile, out in the parking lot are perfectly trimmed Bradford Pear trees in full bloom.  Gorgeous. 



#   #   #

No comments: