Sunday, March 12, 2023

Carol Taylor Quilt from Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection 03-12-23

This is a "reprint" from a blog post done on October 26, 2008.   I cannot find a current website for Carol and  her old site has been taken over by somebody else.  I came across a post done by a lady who a year ago went to an estate sale of Carol's fabric and quilts and read that Carol had a stroke which caused her to move to Florida and clean out her studio.   I wish I had known about the sale and might have added one of her prize winning quilts to the Collection.  I will try to find a way of contacting her, there is always the possibility!

                       "Ripples on the Pond" Carol Taylor 2000 35.5"W x 18.5"L

I know, it doesn't look like what Carol is doing now, but eight years ago she was experimenting with dyeing and discharging and used the fabrics to make a few quilts. I saw "Ripples in the Pond" in a special exhibit at PIQF and contacted Carol to see if it was for sale. I think she was a little startled to have an e-mail from an unknown lady in California, but she was happy to sell the quilt to me. I like the way the ripples, flames and crossing lines go in all different directions between the calm flat hand-dyed pieces. They give the quilt dynamic action. I like a lot of the quilts Carol has made in the last eight years and took a class with her at Asilomar to see how she goes about her quilt making. I hope some day soon I will be "in the money" again and be able to add another Carol Taylor quilt to the TCQC.

#   #   # 



No comments: