Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Sewing Again 06-06-23

It has been so long since I threaded my machine, the one I have used since about  1977, that I had to try a couple times to thread it correctly!  Gotta get  back in  business here.  

I made this little quilt for a Beach Cities QGuild challenge in 1998, but as much as I love the color, it is too chaotic.  I outlined the USA in red perle cotton, but it hardly shows.  Anyway, it is not a successful quilt.  I named it "Guard Thee" after the text in one of the fabrics. 

Several years ago I took a workshop with Elizabeth Busch which covered what to do with such a piece.  So the other day I cut two mug rugs from the middle of the quilt!!   And today I did the zigzag binding a la Sue Benner.

One has the "Guard Thee" text and a lovely lion's eye. 

The other is sort of fishy with a blue un-named critter in the middle.  

I will leave them on the porch table of Wendy, a neighbor who is undergoing chemo and doesn't get out much - just to the chemo treatments.  Her young adult daughter is living with her now.  I don't really know either of them, but a little surprise on her porch will hopefully bring a some cheer to her day.  I've left flowers, cookies, a plant, and a wonderful almond croissant from the French bakery.  But this is the first time she might know who is leaving her gifts.  Such a nice lady if not very talkative.  

#   #   #


No comments: