Friday, July 28, 2023

Friday Food 07-28-23

It is prime tomato season here in Orange County,  California. And, once again, I didn't plant any this year.  Just procrastinated too long.  Fortunately friends and neighbors were  more forward thinking and now they are reaping their reward.   And sharing  with  me!!  Friend Carol left a  bag  of  four ripe, delicious tomatoes  on my porch.  

These are the three left after I made.....

...a sandwich for lunch. Toasted sourdough bread, sliced hard boiled egg, mayonnaise, a tiny  smear of Dejon, one sliced tomato, a sprinkle of salt and a twist of black pepper. Oh, my goodness, was it ever delicious.  It would have benefited from a layer of lettuce on top, but I didn't  have any.   I'll hit the market tomorrow before lunchtime.  

I searched my photos for tomatoes and confirmed that this is prime tomato season.  This is from July 28, 2022.  These tiny sweet morsels are from volunteer plants. 

And this is from July 27, 2021 - with lettuce.

July 31, 2020

July 30, 2019

I could go back even further!  Tomato season is a big deal for me because I don't buy grocery store tomatoes that have no flavor.   So, the only time I have them at home is in July and August.  When I was growing up in Oregon we always had a garden with different types of tomatoes and a lot of other vegetable.  We canned them, of course, but the best was to pick one, sprinkle it with a little salt from the aluminum salt shaker that sat atop a post and just stand there in the row and eat them.  One of my best childhood memories. 

#   #   #



3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Lucky you. I was allergic to them as a child, probably at to many as we had a large garden and canned and froze all our produce. I don't think we did a whole lot of grocery store purchases as we raised our own chickens, my uncle owned a butcher shop so we bought whole side of beef. The Dairyman brought milk an a broaden came also. I don't think my mother drove a lot of course with 6 kids she would have a hand full. Bur by the time the youngest one was mobile I had to babysit him a lot. The good old days.

Sherrie Spangler said...

My mouth is watering just looking at these pictures! I can't find a good tomato here, so I've had to give up my Caprese salads and tomato and avocado sandwiches.

Loretta said...

I have planted tomatoes this year, but our summer weather has not the best tomato weather...too foggy and for our luck this summer, too cool! I have had my little round golden gems, which have been delicious. I will patiently wait for the Beefsteaks in another couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'll visit our local farm! Love, love, love summer tomatoes!