Monday, December 4, 2023

12-04-23 - Raspberries

You may remember how crazy I am about raspberries.  We grew them in our  backyard when I was growing up  in Portland and we participated in the picking crews that were bussed to the fields outside of town.  I would eat as well as pick. 

This photo is of berries I bought at a roadside stand in Oregon, maybe 15 years ago.  I took a box to breakfast at the motel the next morning and thought I would cause a riot because everyone wanted their share.  The berries were  huge, just four fit in my palm. 

I  do buy them  at  the market when they are in season and sometimes off-season, but they aren't as tasty and  the  price is painful.  

Recently I  was at the market when they had a sale and I wanted to stock up on Bonne Mamon brand, which I think is the best raspberry jam.  A young man was also shopping jams and pointed out that St. Dalfour jam was also on sale and that was much better by far.  "You should try it."  So,I picked up a jar.  And he may be right!    St. Dalfour is VERY rich in raspberry flavor, seedless, and a good consistency.  Also, because it is so rich I need to use less to achieve the same  flavor as Bonne Mamon.   Guess I will need to keep both in my pantry so I will be supplied for any usage. 

#   #   #

1 comment:

abelian said...

Thanks for telling us about St. Dalfour! I’d never heard of it, but looked online, and one of my local grocers has it. I’ll definitely try it. Dottie