Monday, December 4, 2023

Sadness 12-03-23

This has been a sad autumn for me. Four friends have died,  And now my sister in Oregon has died.   She turned 88 on November 12th and died on November 30th.  She had four boys and a  girl and the second son called to tell me.  Ellamarie had not spoken to me in several decades, would not take my phone calls and I suppose she did not open any cards or letters I sent. I don't know why she took against me.  I moved to California when I was 18, while she was married and started her family.  Before our mother died in 1972 I went up about every other year,  but  ultimately she would take the children and go to eastern Oregon until I left!   She never came down to see me.  She lived in our childhood house in Portland and, as  far as I know never traveled.   She has been widowed for about ten years.  I am sad,  but we have  been  estranged for decades now and the connection we had growing up was broken  long ago.  She  passed  that  break on to her children who I do not know and have  random contacts with only two.  

These are the only pictures I have on the computer of us together.

Ellamarie and Del In Portland, Oregon,  August  2004

Ellamarie and Del - Portland, Oregon    About 1951?
We were both sick, but a door-to-door photographer came by and our mother thought we should  have a picture taken.  Ellamarie had  naturally curly hair which could be dampened and twisted  around a finger.  I,  on the other hand, had perfectly straight hair and wore it in pigtails.  And this is what happens when they are brushed out.   

Del and Ellamarie  - Portland, Oregon. About 1941

#   #   #

6 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Oh Del, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. That's very strange that she estranged herself from you, but this happens in a lot of families. Sending hugs.

Sonia said...

Oh, Del, I am so sorry to hear this sad story. My own sis and I were on the "outs" went I received word that she was dying. I flew to be by her side and patch things up. It was a complicated relationship as yours seemed to be. From my view point you are loved and respected by many. Please lean into that at this sad and regretful time. Holding you in my thoughts.

Sharon Richards said...

So sorry to hear of your estrangement and the death of your sister. In many cases, we must make our friends our family. Know that you are loved and respected by many, I'm sure.

Gayle M P said...

I am sorry to hear you have lost your sister and friends in recent months. Sometimes our relationship with friends is closer than family. It will be a sad time for you. I sympathise with your losses. Coco will sense your sadness. I expect he will be happy to receive extra snuggling.

Gayle in NZ

Mary Ann said...

I have a brother who has alienated me and my other 4 brothers. He only calls when he thinks he can get something from one of us.
I realized that the only person I can control is myself. and sometimes that's a job! You did more than was required. Enjoy the rest of your life in peace. Hopefully you nieces and nephews come to realize what they are missing. The rest of us love you.

Franki Kohler said...

Del, I am sorry to hear about your sister and other friends. Families can be a mystery that is never solved. I understand your pain. Koko is ever available though. Aren't we lucky to have such companions? Never gruff with us; eager to please!

I don't know why, but I haven't been receiving your posts for some time now. I have a new email address but your blog will not allow me to use it. It only accepts my old email. So. I have just 'unsubscribed' and then subscribed again in hopes that future postings will come through. Crossing fingers.