Friday, December 29, 2023

Friday Food 12-29-23

 Fuyu season is almost over and I haven''t had nearly enough!

This trees slightly hangs over a wall along our usual walking path.  Before I could ask if I could pick some  they harvested every one!

This shows the difference between the Hatchiya on the left and the  Fuyu on the right.
The Hatchiya is soft and gelatinous when ripe. The Fuyu is hard like an apple.


The Fuyu cut crosswise makes a sun with rays some have flat black seeds. Other than eating them like an apple or cutting them up in fruit salad, the only other way I have heard them used is sliced and dried as a snack.    This year when I saw them at the market they were selling for $1.00 to $1.50, each.  As I drove around the area I looked for some loaded trees and stopped to ask to cut a few.  The man at the first house said no, they were a large family and needed them all.   There were probably 70 - 80 on the tree, maybe they planned to dry them.  At another house there was nobody home and it appeared that they had been gone for awhile, maybe traveling for Xmas.  So, I cut four off their well fruited tree and said Thank You.  I am a Fuyu thief! 

#    #    #


2 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

I've never heard of those! I often want to snatch a lemon or orange that I see hanging over walls on my walks, but I'm paranoid that someone's porch camera will catch me in the act.

Mary Ann said...

what do they taste like. There are many local seats in tropicL states, Florida has carambolas or star fruit which is delicious and never seen in Ohio. We have black and red raspberries and blackberries but I suspect those are common. Ohio is the apple and tomato state.