Sunday, September 6, 2009

Prize winning quilt by Ruth Powers 09-06-09

I first saw a Ruth Powers quilt in 1998 at the Autry Museum in Los Angeles and asked about availability, but they had no information. No pictures were allowed, but I stored the image of "Vireya" in my brain somewhere and didn't forget it. In early 2001 a friend heard about a new group "Kansas Art Quilters" and sent me the URL for their website. I was so impressed that they had a great website up so soon after they formed that I sent a query about membership. They replied that I could be a member, so I sent my check. When I looked at the membership list I found that Ruth Powers was a member and we exchanged the first of years of e-mails. I was so glad that I could purchase this quilt in 2006, although it is hard to choose a favorite among Ruth's many masterpiece quilts this one in particular 'spoke to me'. KAQ is a group that I have enjoyed very much, even though I live so many miles away.
"Early Birds" Ruth Powers - Carbondale, KS 2005 49"W x 38"L
Best Of Show at Celebrate Spring! IQF, Rosemont, IL 2006 and was in the Celebrate Spring! Special Exhibit at Houston in 2006
Published in Fons and Porter’s ”Love of Quilting” May/June 2007 and the SAQA Journal Vol. 17 - #2 Spring 2007


Ruth machine pieces EVERYTHING using commercial fabrics almost exclusively and FMQs her quilts on her home machine. She also does exquisite thread painting on some of her work.



The texture of the fabrics she selected for this quilt give the illusion of depth and the one that show the distant trees is an inspired choice. This quilt is one that requires many close viewings to see all the details.
Ruth has a commercial pattern business where she sells designs that are just a little different than others on the market. She is currently working on a pattern series named "Picture Piecing" and has just posted the third pattern "Bluebird" on her pattern site:
http://www.ruthpowersartquilts.com/patterns.php The first in the series is "Coneflowers" and the second is "Poppy".
Posted by Picasa



9 comments:

Ruth Powers said...

Del, Thank you SO much for featuring my work on your blog! It is indeed an honor to be a part of the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection, and I always enjoy your insightful commentary on the work that you select! It was fun for me to revisit "Early Birds" one of my favorites and to remember what fun it was to create.

Unknown said...

I too love Ruth's work, and in real life it is amazing! I especially like the Raven she showed recently at the Aullwood. Congratulations at owning a wonderful piece!

Rayna said...

Ruthie's work is indeed, amazing! Thanks for showing this one.

Terry Grant said...

I love this on two levels. First, and most importantly, it is incredibly beautiful and makes me smile just looking at it. Second, I try not to get hung up on technique and just enjoy art for what it is, but this blows me away with its technique. I can't even imagine how you do something like that!

Gerrie said...

Terry said it best. Her workmanship is just incredible. The quilt is so charming. I'm glad it found it's way to your collection.

June said...

This is truly wonderful -- a treasure. How great for you that you snagged it.

Kristin L said...

As a lover of Ruth McDowell's work, I can't help but enjoy Ruth Powers' work as well. It is so beautifully done and both women obviously celebrate fabric. This is one of my very favorite pieces too.

Loret said...

I love the robins! Ruth's work is very, very special. Thanks so much for sharing.

Christine Thresh said...

Such a thrill to see this quilt and the good closeup photos. You are a wise and lucky woman to have selected this quilt for your collection. Thanks for sharing your treasures with us.