Friday, September 11, 2009

Update on SDeigo Trip - Blue flower 09-10-09

I have to tell you what a disappointment that shower was at the Westin. Yes, there are two shower heads, but two dispense the same amount of water as one! Yes, California is in severe water shortage, but it would have been more satisfying to spray myself with a squirt bottle.
The bed was pretty wonderful, but very high and it had a soft pillow top. When I woke up in the middle of the night to do a bathroom run, I couldn't get out of bed! The mattress was so soft I needed something to hang onto, since I couldn't reach the floor, and there was nothing to hang onto. I finally rolled on my stomach and flung my legs over the edge, followed by my rear end. Too bad there wasn't a video, it might have won a prize in the world's ugliest videos contest. With my short legs I certainly need to have a stool, or maybe a step ladder to get in and out of that sort of bed.

Nancy Ota took this picture just as I was showing how high a live Summer Lily is. The quilt by Ruth McDowell shows a huge version in a delightful fabric selection. This quilt is very popular with audiences - it is so colorful and the candelabra shaped plant is so graceful. You'll note that once again I have forgotten to exchange my sunglasses for my regular glasses - someone has to remind me. Later I realized and changed, but I always feel so silly when I discover how I look. Behind me are Joan Colvin's "Copper Tree" and Pamela Allen's "Getting my Ducks in a Row". And I am wearing an original Rayna Gillman silk scarf around my neck.

The blue flower I posted yesterday is one single flower from the flower head of Agapanthus Africanus or Lily-of-the-Nile. The picture was taken in the shade which gives the blue an extra glow. Several people were curious - maybe you were also.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

dee said...

You look great and you made me laugh so much with the bed story. We recently got a new mattress and it's sooo high that I have trouble getting in and out. I think the reason my hip hurts lately is the action of hitching my side up to get in. Definitely time for a little foot stool. Getting old sucks but not as much as the alternative.
Lovely flowers. Thanks Del.

Patty ♣ said...

The sunglasses, well, you are just a California gal! It happens to me all the time! You and the bed story made me laaaugh!!! I am still grinning! You are such an entertaining writer! So glad you had an enjoyable time! Thanks for letting us hear the funny things in your life, as well as see the lovely ones.

Christine Thresh said...

The quilt you are displaying is wonderful. I'd love to see one of your "shows."

One nice thing about you is that you find humour in situations where other people would complain and fuss. (That's only ONE nice thing -- there are many others.)

Anonymous said...

Del, your account of the 'too high bed' tickled me as I have short legs, too. Actually, I'm short all over..... I found your blog through Ruth and have enjoyed your adventures and lovely photos of quilts and flowers.

Gwynette

Meggie said...

Our new bed is quite high, but I am lucky to be a medium height. My mother was short, & she would have loved that story.
Love that quilt, & love seeing the photo of you.

Rayna said...

Snort! Too funny, Del. These are the things that make you so charming -- the humor and yes, the sunglasses indoors.
You look very dashing!

Mary Lou Weidman said...

I think you could have a cute contest that says "what is Del saying?" You could get some fun entries I am sure.
Who would not love to look at that quilt on a wall? I would have it in my bedroom to wake up to! Great colors and fabrics (as usual). Thanks for sharing Del