Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Driving break - Redding, CA 11-30-09 Post 12-15-09

As I have said several times, I cannot drive as long at a stretch as I once could. Now I try to stop every two hours and walk around a bit - sometimes I find something interesting which requires a longer driving break.

When I exited I-5 at Redding, CA., my intent was just to see the Sundial Bridge, but while I was looking for it I saw this old building, or part of a building, beyond the entrance signs and was intrigued. To the left you can see a pile of gravel and sand topped with a huge rusty "bucket" used to move the material as it was excavated.


By looking at the old pictures posted (see some on either side of the door) and the somewhat sketchy signage I learned that this is part of an old quarry that was used in the 1940s to acquire the necessary sand and gravel to build Shasta Dam. There is a museum nearby which is closed on Monday and Tuesday, so I wasn't able to find more info. However, the remains of the building are interesting just on their own.


I believe this is a sculpture (on the right) composed of hard hats like those used by heavy construction workers. The repeat on the left is a shadow on the concrete wall.
A closer view of the hard hats.

This roughly round hole in the wall is apparently where something was removed - a large pipe, perhaps.

Looking the other way through the same opening shows a pile of gravel/sand which has the huge old "bucket" on the other side which shows the size of the equipment used.

This is one cubic yard of concrete.

This is another side of the same cubic yard of concrete.

On the top of the cube are inlaid all the many different types of minerals found during the "dig".

The museum has changing exhibits along with the permanent ones and at the time one of the exhibits was "Poop" - showing the excrement of animals. I don't know how interesting such a display would be to anyone but guys with the mental view of a 10 year old. However, I was very curious and thought I would stop on my way south, but I was trying to out race the storm, so I didn't stop. I will undoubtedly regret it for the rest of my life - wouldn't you?

# # #

3 comments:

dee said...

You always make my day!
I wanted to say how much I loved the E. Barton quilt from yesterday. It's a wonderful piece and so full of amazing graphic detail. The colors are just beautiful. Thanks for another beauty Del.
Hope all is well with you.

Patty ♣ said...

Hi Del, We have probably stopped at that spot and I don't remember seeing what you described here. How Interesting! Another good one! I don't know about the "poop"..? There is a children's book named Everybody Poops, and another, The Truth About Poop....Boy! Never would have read that topic in my elementary years!! Haha...

Rayna said...

Right! You can always make a trip back to see what you missed.LOL